Build great API’s faster, with PHP and laravel 5.6
What is Apiato
Apiato is a framework for building scalable and testable API-Centric Applications with PHP.
It is designed to help you build scalable API’s faster, by providing tools and functionalities that facilitates the development of any API-Centric App.
Apiato uses the best frameworks, tools and conventions in a very creative way, to deliver a rich set of features for a modern PHP Application.
Why!? Because setting up a solid API from scratch is time consuming (and of course, time is money!). Apiato gives you the core features of robust API’s fully documented, for free; so you can focus on writing your business logic, thus deliver faster to your clients.
Why API-Centric Apps
Today we’re living in a digital era, where almost everything is connected to the Internet.
Building cross-devices applications is becoming a must. And to do it, you need APIs (Application Programing Interfaces).
Web developers are used to serve HTML pages directly from the Backend. However, this traditional method has many disadvantages nowadays.
API’s can serve anything and everything (Mobile Apps, Web Apps, Smart TVs, Smart Watches,…). As well as, it can be exposed to the world allowing developers to interact with your Application and help growing your business.
API-Centric Apps allows Frontend (Web + Mobile) and Backend developers to work on their codes in parallel. After the Frontend Apps are ready they get attached to the Backend (API-Centric) code to start functioning. This leads to zero decoupling between the Frontend and the Backend code and also removes the dependencies. The API documentation acts as the contract between both sides during the development life cycle of all the Apps.
Support this project by becoming a sponsor.
Your logo will show up on the github repository index page, the site landing page and the documentation main page, with a link to your website. [Become a sponsor]
Apiato comes with great features. Read the full features list on the site.
Apiato is built using the new architectural pattern Porto.
Porto SAP is a modern Software Architectural Pattern, designed to help developers organize their Code in a super maintainable way. It is very helpful for big and long term projects, as they tend to have higher complexity with time.
It’s completely optional to build your application using the Porto architecture. Alternatively, you can build it using the MVC architecture, and still benefit from all the features of Apiato.
How to read the docs
The documentation has 4 sections:
- Getting Started: contains mainly the project installation steps.
- General: contains few general things to get you started.
- Features: explains how to use each feature of Apiato, and show how it works and how it can be configured to meet your needs.
- Components: explains how, where and why you need to use each component “class”. In each component page you will see:
- Definition: what is the the component and what it’s role.
- Principles: the general principles of the component, which could be applied to any programming language.
- Rules: how to apply the component principles in Apiato (a PHP/Laravel project), to ensure a smooth operation.
- Folder Structure: the folder structure, that shows where to place your component.
- Code Sample: a boilerplate to show how to write and use the component.
- Misc: things related to the component, like configurations and other stuff you might need while coding.
The key words “MUST”, “MUST NOT”, “REQUIRED”, “SHALL”, “SHALL NOT”, “SHOULD”, “SHOULD NOT”, “RECOMMENDED”, “MAY”, and “OPTIONAL” in this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [RFC2119].
Get in touch
Join our Slack chatting room, by click on the Slack icon below.
Help keeping the project development going, by contributing or donating a little. Thanks in advance.
Donate directly via Paypal
or become a backer on Open Collective
or show your support via Beerpay
Install and have fun installation guide :)
LTS (Long-Term Support) release is available. And offers support for 12 months, after the release date.
The current LTS version is 7.2 (Release date 2017-11-11). It offers bug fixes (for 12 months) and security updates (for 12 months). And does not get any new features.
Some feedbacks from awesome people.